The Kaufmannshaus is located in the middle of the "Passagenviertel" at the Bleichenfleet and thus in a central location of Hamburg's city center. It was built in 1905 as a Kontorhaus (traditional office building), emulating the style of the traditional buildings of Hamburg's trading companies. From February 2011 to April 2013, a complete modernization took place according to the designs of the New York architectural firm Moed de Armas & Shannon. On the water side, the merchant's house was extended by a promenade in the form of a footbridge along the Bleichenfleet according to plans by the architectural firm David Chipperfield Architects.
|budget:||approx. 30 Mio. EUR|
|gross flor area:||approx. 24.000 m² GFA|
|construction period:||2011 - 2013|